Saturday 22 October 2011

Make a difference

Together with thousands of other ZIN members, I got an email this week.
Get Wyclef’s new hit “Historia” for your Zumba® classes and Party in Pink™ Zumbathon® charity events — 10% of every iTunes download directly benefits Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and its global nonprofit partners.

You can also make a difference by calling your local radio station to request “Historia” so more people hear the song and want to download it. Your efforts will help millions worldwide!
Or, you can make even bigger difference by giving your hard-earned cash directly to the better charity.

If you buy Historia from iTunes for $1.29, you contribute just 13 cents to Komen, the establishment famous for pinkwashing and trademarking the very phrase “for the cure”. The remaining 90% presumably go to Wyclef Jean himself, recording company and iTunes. Personally, I would not buy a song from iTunes even if I happened to like it. Which is not the case here.

Don’t get me wrong: I am far from pooh-poohing the idea of Zumbathon. Finding a cure for breast cancer is a noble cause and Zumba charity event must be fun. But I really detest paying to Pink Ribbons, Inc. and the guy who used the Haitian earthquake for shameless self-promotion.

Unfortunately, there’s no much choice: currently, Komen is the only charity that can benefit from Zumbathon® events. (Why do they even have “Choose Benefiting Organization” menu there if there is nothing else to choose from?)

Among things I miss here in Fuerte are the charity shops. I bought some of my favourite shirts in the Cancer Research UK shop in Saffron Walden. And, although I am not a big fan of running, I really enjoyed watching their Race for Life in Cambridge.

You also can help fighting breast cancer without paying anything. How? Just go to The Breast Cancer Site and click!
When you click, we display ads from our site sponsors. 100% of the money from these advertisers goes to our charity partners, who fund programs to provide mammograms for women in need.
Isn’t it great?

No comments:

Post a Comment